Saturday, January 26, 2013

Comics Roundup 1/23/13

Uncanny Avengers #3 - This is a bit late, isn't it?  That's okay because it's a nutty good time, and John Cassaday's art is in top form.  Rick Remender is also making good use of each team member, and it's certainly interesting to see Captain America have to defer to Havok.  How the heck can somebody give orders to Captain America?  Well, Havok seems confidant enough to pull it off.

Green Lantern #16 - I'm hoping that I won't have to buy all the other Green Lantern books to be able to follow what's going on, because I'm enjoying this story, and I like the new Green Lantern.  This issue also gives us a reason why he carries a gun, and it's a pretty reasonable one.

Wonder Woman #16 - This is becoming another one of those titles where I don't have much to say simply because it's an entertaining read and I have not much else to add to it than that.  I guess I could point out that I like the new look for Orion, and the story gives a pretty good reason for introducing the New Gods into the mix.  I still think that this would make for an interesting team-up with Jason Arron's Thor:  God of Thunder.  Oh, and I love the bit when Hera reminds Ares that he's her least-favorite child.  Mythology nerds like me eat that stuff up.

Avengers #3 - Apparently Jonathan Hickman is the kind of writer who thinks long-term, which he'd better be doing here or else that was really anti-climactic.  I also have to wonder just how new-reader friendly this is.  Apparently that's Captain Universe who saved the day there, right?  Doesn't the Captain Universe power only attach itself to a person in times of great need?  And what's the deal with Hyperion?  Not a whole lot is being explained here, but I'm intrigued enough to check out the next issue.

Winter Soldier #14 - Ed Brubaker goes out on a pretty high, albeit melancholy, note with this series.  I'm not sure if I'm interested enough in the character to see what happens to him with the new writer, but it's certainly been fun following his adventures ever since Brubaker introduced him in Captain America's book.  Hopefully the movie will do him justice.

The Secret Service #5 - Another installment of another Mark Millar book, and I'm entertained and surprised that I don't have to re-read everything that came before since it's been a while since the last issue.  

No comments: