Sunday, September 23, 2012

Comics Roundup for 9/19/12

Justice League #0 - No Justice League in this one, as the Captain Marvel backup feature takes center-stage and fills the entire issue.  If I really hated Captain Marvel, I might be upset.  I'm not really a fan, but I've really been enjoying the backups, so I had no problem.  I liked this one, and unlike Superman, who's been rebooted to death, I think that this retinkered origin works pretty well for the World's Mightiest Mortal.

Batwoman #0 - The art looks nice, like always, but I couldn't even finish reading this one.  Exposition... weighing... me... down... Ugh.  Seriously, is there anything worse than a comic where the entire thing is told in the style of a plot summary?

Daredevil #18 - Oh yeah, Daredevil had a wife.  Nice to see that she's not entirely forgotten.  Plus, the mystery of who's trying to make Matt Murdock out to be a nutcase deepens.  Fun stuff, like usual.  The art's pretty good as well.

Wonder Woman #0 - Great stuff, like usual.  Brian Azarello takes a bit of an old-school approach with the narration, but this feels much more modern than a Silver Age story.  Revamping Diana's story was probably one of the best things to come out of this entire "New 52" and I hope that this origin sticks for a while.

Spider-Men #5 (of 5) - I've actually read the first trade of the new Ultimate Comics:  Spider-Man since reading the last issue, so I'm a little bit more invested in the Miles Morales character.  I've decided that I really like him, and I think that this series was a great way to establish that he's a legitimate addition to the mythology.  I also like the fact that the door is completely sealed, and there are ways that this series will continue to impact the lives of both Spider-Men.

The Avengers #30 - Walt Simonson's definitely bringing his A-game to this series with this issue.  I don't know how the heck it's an AvX crossover, but it was still enjoyable.  Basically we get Hawkeye and Spider-Woman teaming up and bickering about their relationship.  It could have been lame, but I was entertained.


No comments: