Friday, July 13, 2012

Comics Roundup for 7/11/12

Lots of stuff, gotta be brief:

Batman #11 - This was an excellent ending to the "Court of Owls" story that's been running in this book since it began.  Basically, we get a satisfying conclusion, but as you'd want with good serialized entertainment, you're left with enough mystery to wonder what's going to happen next.  I hope that Scott Snyder revisits this story eventually, as I think that Lincoln March is probably one of the best new villains since Hush.

Spider-Man #2 - The art took a bit of a downturn with this, and this was the weakest installment of this series so far.  However, it ends in a really interesting place, as Peter Parker goes to visit Aunt May and Gwen Stacy of the Ultimate Universe.

Avenging Spider-Man #9 - I'm not familiar with writer Kelly Sue DeConnick, but this was an entertaining story with a pretty good cliffhanger.  I don't know if I like it to pick up the new Captain Marvel series when it comes out, but I'm at least a little bit intrigued.

Batman and Robin #11 - I was a bit confused by what the villains were doing in this issue, but the confrontation between Damien Wayne and Jason Todd made it worth it.  I wonder what's going to happen when he confronts Dick Grayson?  Hopefully the little twerp will finally get his ass kicked.

The New Avengers #28 - Normally I hate the "It was all a dream" story, but this one at least gave us a good sense of exactly what the X-Men are up to, and it certainly doesn't make them look like the good guys in this situation.

Batgirl #11 - Nothing too special going on here, but this remains a fun series and it's been one of my favorite reads for several months, so I'm sticking around.

Wolverine and the X-Men #13 - This issue focused on the Shi'ar Empire, and I didn't really get into it.  There were some good moments, but I hope the regular cast returns next issue.

Avengers Assemble #5 - This was the best issue of this series yet.  While I was feeling like it was a bit perfunctory at the beginning, now I'm genuinely enjoying this series.  I don't know much about the Guardians of the Galaxy, but I like the Raccoon guy.

Captain America #14 - It's too bad that Ed Brubaker is going to be leaving the character soon.  This was a pretty good issue, but I suppose it's better for him to leave on a high note than wait until it starts to stink.

Walt Disney's Uncle Scrooge - "Only a Poor Old Man"  - I haven't had a chance to read more than the first story in this one, but this is another collection by Carl Barks, and I really enjoyed the Donald Duck one that came out a while ago.  I also read the introduction by George Lucas, and I think he really hits the nail on the head why these stories hold up so well - they're simply good stories.  I have some other stuff to read first, but I'm looking forward to digging into this one.

No comments: