Friday, April 13, 2012

Comics Roundup for 4/11/12

Batwoman #8 - The art has definitely taken a dive, but since JH Williams III is coming back, and the story is still pretty decent, I'll stick around.  The best bits are the interactions between Batwoman and Chase, as it certainly creates an interesting dynamic.

Wolverine #304 - This was a decent sendoff for outgoing writer Jason Aaron.  I think I'll get the next issue at the very least to see how the new writer is doing, but otherwise I might have to stick with Wolverine and the X-Men for my Aaron/Wolverine fix.

Avenging Spider-Man #6 - We have guest writers this issue as it crosses over into Daredevil and Punisher. Considering that I get the former anyway, I might as well buy the one issue of the latter title so I can get the full story.  Honestly, it seems to be tying into DD's overall story more than anything, but that's fine with me.

Batgirl #8 - Another consistently good read with this one, and it's nice to see Barbara's psycho brother, James, come back into the picture.  Scott Snyder sure did some interesting stuff with him; let's hope that the new story won't feel too much like a retread.  (And honestly, he's probably a better villain for her than for Batman - there's definitely more at stake with this conflict.)

The New Avengers #24 - I guess we're just getting a bunch of crossover stuff with the Avengers titles until this Avengers Vs. X-Men crossover wraps up.  That's fine, as I'm enjoying this story so far, and this issue did a pretty good job of filling in some blanks from the main story.

Batman and Robin #8 - Not much to say other than that this was another fully enjoyable issue.  While I think that overall I might like Scott Snyder's Batman a bit better than this title, I have an easier time remembering what happened from issue to issue with this one.  (Perhaps it's because Snyder's story is so intricate.  Still, this reminds me of Chuck Dixon's writing when he was doing great stuff on Robin and Nightwing.)

Green Lantern #8 - Same problem here - another good issue in a series that's been providing me with some pretty solid entertainment for several years now.  Also, we get a bit more with the Indigo Lanterns, and that's been a long time coming.

Avengers Assemble #2 - This was definitely a more solid read than the debut issue, and it's pretty clear that a new reader could easily follow along with what's happening - which I think is what the point of it is since it just happens to have an Avengers lineup that corresponds with the one that's in the upcoming movie.

Lord of the Jungle #3 - I'm enjoying this far more than I thought I would, as I kinda figured I'd check out the first issue and then pretty much that would be the end of it.  I've never read the original Tarzan novels, but from what I understand this is an attempt to do something that's pretty true to the source material while removing some of the obvious Ethnocentrism/racism from the original story.  The artwork by Roberto Castro is serviceable.  There are some really great moments with his work, but there are some clunky pictures in there as well.  I have a feeling that he's a genuine talent who needs to hone his craft a little bit more.  By then, Marvel or DC will no doubt snatch him up.

No comments: