Thursday, January 26, 2012

Comics Roundup for 1/24/12

Aquaman #5 - Definitely my favorite read of the week.  Great opening, interesting opening to a bigger story, and some fantastic art by Ivan Reis.  Is it just me, or is he making a point of making Aquaman particulary...well...handsome?  Geoff Johns is really getting to the heart of who the character is and tapping in to his potential that has always existed.

The Flash #5 - This was entertaining enough, and the art was top-notch as usual.  I'm just not sure that I'm a big enough of a fan of the character or the writing to keep up with this series past the first major story arc.  Time will tell, but as I've mentioned before, I need to drop some stuff from my reading list.

Justice League #5 - If it wasn't for Aquaman, this one would have been my favorite.  I actually found myself laughing out loud a couple of times - and for a good reason.  I'm not sure that I like how willing Batman was when it came to revealing his secret identity to Green Lantern, but all of the character interaction bits kept this a compelling read.  I have to wonder how the heck they're going to wrap it all up next issue.

Batman:  The Dark Knight #5 - The first half of this was nothing special, and it felt like a million other run-ins with The Scarecrow.  Once Superman made an appearance though, it got pretty good.

Captain America and Bucky #626 - I had a hard time getting into this one, and that's pretty disappointing considering how good the last story arc was.  I found myself having a hard time caring, and the fact that Ed Brubaker is leaving the title after this story arc has me thinking that it's time to bail on this title. Plus, I have little interest in the upcoming Captain America and Hawkeye series which this one will morph into after this story.

No comments: