Friday, October 21, 2011

Comics Roundup for 10/19/11

Wolverine #17 - This was a pretty fun read, and it had a pretty different for this series with the Gorilla Man team-up.  Still, I felt like more needed to be resolved from the last major story arc.  Hopefully Jason Aaron is going to follow-up on some of that stuff.

Fear Itself #7 (of 7) - This was a decent ending to an otherwise forgettable crossover event.  I'm not quite sure how this changes Marvel's status quo.  The great thing about Civil War and Secret Invasion was that they both left me wanting to see what was going to happen next in the Marvel Universe.  Apparently there's some stuff going on that came out of all this, but I don't seem to have a grasp on it.  Personally, I think that Marvel needs to bring its game up a bit what with what's going on at DC and all.

Avengers #18 - There needs to be a new team of Avengers.  Why?  I'm not sure.  I saw the cover preview for the next issue and it looks like the same team minus Red Hulk (thankfully - he's such a redundant character) and Thor and plus Ms. Marvel, The Black Panther (yay), and The Vision.  Anyway, this was a decent issue, and Daniel Acuna's art is always nice to see.  (And now I hear that Storm is joining?  Could be interesting.)

Justice League #2 - This series doesn't quite live up to the hype, especially in light of some of DC's other current offerings.  However, it is a pretty darned fun book though.  Sure it doesn't have some of the more poignant moments like in Batman and Robin and Aquaman, but it's a really entertaining ride.

Nightwing #2 - I'm not sure how this compares to the Chuck Dixon Nightwing run (one of my all-time favorites) but it's a pretty fun read so far.  We get a little bit more story this time, and the stakes get raised.  What more could you want?

Batman #2 - This had a really strong start, and the rest was pretty good as well.  Scott Snyder's definitely not just going over familiar territory here, and this feels like a completely different book than when he was writing Detective Comics, and I don't think that's all attributable to the radically different artist on this book.

Wonder Woman #2 - Any reservations I might have had about Brian Azzarello being the right guy for this book are completely thrown out the window with this one.  I think it might have been my favorite of the week.  Are some old-time Wonder Woman fans going to be upset that they're tweaking her origin?  Perhaps.  But making her a daughter of Zeus makes more sense if this is all tied to Greek Mythology.  Anyway, good stuff.

Superior #6 - Speaking of better and better, this series started out decently enough, but it didn't seem all that special.  Now I finally feel like I'm reading something that I haven't read before.  Basically we've got a hero who needs to make a Faustian bargain - but instead of doing it for his own gain, he must do it for the benefit of humanity.

No comments: