Thursday, June 9, 2011

Comics Roundup for 6/8/11

The New Avengers #13 - With this issue, we finally get something that connects the flashback story from the 1950s to the storyline that's taking place in the present. Also, it looks like they're not killing (or is that re-killing) Mockingbird off so soon, but there definitely will be something interesting happening to her. Anyway, this remains the best Avengers book.

Wolverine #10 - We get to learn more about this secret organization that's hellbent on ruining Logan's life. Considering how long he's been alive, he's definitely had a lot of time to screw people over and get them mad at him. This is definitely a good twist on the typical "and now Wolverine is pissed off because people have been screwing with him" plot, as it just keeps on adding layers.

Batman and Robin #23 - Meh. I was really looking forward to this considering the creative team, but this didn't do all that much for me. I'll check out the relaunched series that Peter Tomasi will write, although I'm going to miss the Dick Grayson/Damien Wayne dynamic that's been the hallmark of this book. (Seems like there will be only one Batman yet again, which is too bad as I could have kept going on with some more Batman stories with Dick behind the cowl.)

Echo #30 - This was a good issue, and a decent ending to a pretty good series. I'm going to have to reread the whole thing though, as it seemed a bit abrupt to me, and there were a couple of characters that I didn't remember. Maybe this is just the ending of this particular series, as Terry Moore certainly seems to be leaving it open to more. I was under the impression that there was much more to these characters that could still be explored.

Mickey Mouse: Race to Death Valley - I've been looking forward to this collection of strips by Floyd Gottfredson ever since Free Comic Book Day. It's a pretty hefty volume with a lot of text material and historical background that makes it worth the $30 price tag. I'm only a few pages into it so far, but I'm loving it already. This is a whole new side of Mickey that people who only know him from various cartoons and the guy in the suit at Disneyland wouldn't necessarily recognize. I have no idea how many volumes are planned in this series, but I can see myself getting more. This, of course, is only getting me more and more excited for when Fantagraphics (which did this volume) releases the collections with Uncle Scrooge by Carl Barks.

No comments: