Friday, July 30, 2010

Comics Roundup for 7/28/10

Batman: The Return of Bruce Wayne #4 (of 6) - This was probably my favorite issue as far as the story is concerned, but it was my least favorite art-wise (not that the art was bad - it just wasn't up to the standards of the previous artists). As I've mentioned before, this series has been somewhat confusing; however, I'm continuing to buy it as I have some faith in Grant Morrison. I just re-read every issue of Batman and Robin and all the stuff that confused me when I read it issue by issue was pretty much cleared up. I'm figuring that when all is said and done with this series, I'll be able to say the same thing. Anyway, Bruce Wayne in the Old West? What's not to like, especially since Jonah Hex (who I understand was pretty much ruined in that bomb of a movie) and Vandal Savage get thrown into the mix.

The Flash #4 - Speaking of stuff I recently re-read, I went through the last three issues of this series recently, and I was reminded of why I liked it so much. With that said, I was a bit disappointed that the subplot, where Barry Allen opens up an old file, wasn't followed-up on very much, this was still a pretty solid installment in the life of the Silver Age Flash. Also, enough can't be said about how Francis Manapul is the perfect artist to draw this series.

Green Lantern #56 - Larfleeze, the greedy "Orange Lantern" finds out about Santa Claus in this issue, and his arguments for Santa's existence somewhat remind me of the arguments that people make for God's existence. Maybe that's just me though. Anyway, this was an amusing issue, and it's nice to see that they're finally doing something with Hector Hammond, a villain that they've been teasing since this series began.

Secret Avengers #3 - Speaking of stuff that will probably read better when you don't wait a month between issues, I only moderately enjoyed this one. Still, this is one of the more interesting combination of superheroes ever put into a book, and the new Ant Man is definitely intriguing. I'll keep getting it, as I have stacks and stacks of comics written by Ed Brubaker that I count amongst my favorites, so I'll give this series the benefit of the doubt.

No comments: