Thursday, February 18, 2010

Lent-o-Rama

In the spirit of my Ramadan and vegetarian experiments, I decided that I'm going to try and participate in Lent this year. I'll admit that I haven't done a lot of research, but from what I gather, it's a religious observance followed mainly by Catholics (but it seems like some other Christians - including Eastern Orthodox) as they pray (moreso than normal, I guess) and practice a little self-denial.

As usual, I'm not interested in the spiritual aspects of these religious practices, but I do have some respect for the notion of self-denial. The trouble is I was having a hard time thinking of something to give up. There's beer, but I kind of did that during my Ramadan thing. Of course, I already did the meat thing. Comics? Crap...I'll just fall behind and then spend way too much money the following month. (Besides, how can I let my fans down with a distinct lack of Comics Roundups?)

Truth be told, I didn't even realize it was Lent until a coworker brought it up. I immediately went, "Oh! I gotta do something for that!" The best thing we came up with? No more swearing.

I don't know - seems kind of lame. I'm in control of my cursing, and I know the right time and place for that sort of a thing. Besides, it doesn't really feel like a sacrifice. It feels more like I'm thought-policing myself. So, to heck with that, but I thought of a better idea. Unfortunately, I'm off to a late start, but I'm going to give up sweets.

I have a serious problem with the sweets. If they're in the house, they're going to get eaten. I already had some today, but it doesn't count as cheating as I hadn't decided to give them up until afterward. In fact, I had told myself that I'd have a couple pieces of candy before walking the dog and THEN start my Lent experiment. However, I figured that was lame, and I passed on the sweets. (And they're the REALLY good cherry gummy hearts from France that they sell at Trader Joe's. When you bite into them, some cherry juice squirts out. Mmmm...)

I did have a second beer tonight though, but trust me, it doesn't replace the craving for some candy and/or chocolate. Oh boy...no chocolate! What am I getting myself into? Ahh well, I can do it for Thor. I mean Jesus. Yeah, that's the ticket.

No comments: