Friday, February 26, 2010

The latest with Argos

Last summer, I chronicled the saga of my dog Argos and the need for him to have his toe removed. In short, he has cancer, and even though the toe was removed, the cancer is eventually going to get him.

Since then, Argos has been doing really well. I've taken him on his daily walks with even a few adventures up to Mt. Wanda and the Crocket Hills here in Martinez. He has lots of energy, and he's still going strong.

The only real issue is that the cancer is spreading up his leg. His leg is pretty lumpy, and he has one really bad lump on the back of it. He's been chewing on it, and it's gotten more and more bloody. So, today Kirsti and I took him to the vet, and we're going to try a little something to stop the bleeding.

Basically, it's bleeding for one of two reasons - either it's because he's been chewing on it, or that's the nature of that particular tumor. If it's the former, then we can probably do something about it. If it's the latter, then it might be time to consider putting the big guy down - an option that I dread, but I'd rather do that then watch it get worse and wait for him to start suffering.

Right now, we have his leg all bandaged up, and the vet recommended a treatment where you put some honey on the bandage. Now, before you think I'm doing some kind of New Agey homeopathic bullcrap, let me assure you that the vet explained to me the science of the process. I'm sure that I'd do a crappy job of re-explaining it, but it didn't involve a bunch of vague language about water having memory or some crap like that. Essentially, the sugars in the honey overwhelm any bacteria, and it allows for it to start healing. She did warn us though that it's going to look a bit worse before it looks better - again, I'd do a lousy job of explaining why.

So, that's where we're at. The not knowing is always the worst thing, but I'm starting to mentally prepare myself for the eventuality where he'll need to join that big roundup in the sky. Here's hoping it won't come to that just yet.

No comments: