Saturday, October 10, 2009

Namaste It! - To Die an Omnivore!

It's honesty time: I don't need to eat meat; I want to eat meat. Oh sure, when the inevitable zombie apocalypse comes and society completely falls apart, I won't have access to cheese, soy products and veggie ground round. When that happens, I will indeed need to eat meat. However, while living in our modern society, I eat meat simply because that's what I want to do.

Perhaps it's a little early for me to make such a declaration, but I've been at this vegetarianism experiment for over a week now, and it has been going pretty well - much easier then when I tried to Ramadan It. I can honestly say that I've only felt some sort of craving for meat one time, and that was a few days ago.

I'd be lying if I said that the thought of a burger or some chicken doesn't sound good, but I'd compare this to when I stopped drinking for the Ramadan experiment. I never really felt like I just HAD to have a beer, but I did think while eating my dinner thoughts like: "You know, a beer would go really well with this." That's pretty much how I feel right now with meat. It'd be nice, but when I fill myself up on cheese and salad, that thought is pretty much gone. Also, like I've mentioned in past blogs, I actually feel less hungry than I normally do throughout the day, so food in general isn't on my mind all that often.

I've had a lot of people tell me that they just "need" to eat meat. I used to think that, and while I can only answer for myself, this whole thing has taught me that I really don't. I imagine that a lot of people who think that they need it are actually really like me though - they just want it, and hey, nothing wrong with that.

This "Stan Lee Challenge" title was inspired by The Amazing Spider-Man #52: "To Die a Hero!"

2 comments:

Sharon Vaknin said...

This might change your mind about meat: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0762435402/

It's the male verion of "Skinny Bitch". Stupid title, yet very informational. I think you might like!

Lance Christian Johnson said...

You may be right!

But meat is so tasty!