Friday, July 24, 2009

Comics Roundup for 7/22/09

I've been a bit distracted lately, so this is a couple days late even though I read everything the day that I got them. Here goes:

Gotham City Sirens #2 - I have a feeling that this book is more of a Catwoman book than anything else, but that's just fine with me. I don't think I ever liked the character enough to follow her in her own series, but so long as Paul Dini is writing it, I'm there. This was a solid issue, and it dovetails nicely in with what's going on in Dini's other Bat-book. And once again, I wish that somebody in Hollywood would take my suggestion and make sure that Hush is the villain for the next Batman movie. (So long as they base it off of the stuff that Dini does.)

The Incredible Hulk #600 - Jeph Loeb and Ed McGuiness's run on this title has been coming out rather irregularly, so I don't remember all that much as to what happened last issue. The good news is, this was a fun read, so it didn't matter to me. If anything, it's made me want to go back and reread their entire run. The backup features don't interest me all that much, and I'm a little miffed that a big chunk of it is a reprint of a comic that I already own, but I liked the main feature so much that it didn't matter. Loeb's take on the Hulk definitely isn't as psychologically complex as Peter David's, and this focuses a lot more on action than anything else. Still, with McGuiness drawing it, I'm okay with that. I do think that they're dragging out the "Who is the Red Hulk?" storyline a little too long though.



The Amazing Spider-Man #600 - Another big book for the week. I was a little disappointed in this one. It's not that there was anything wrong with it. I guess that I just expect something great with these round-numbered anniversary issues. Maybe it's because I still have fond memories of the debut of Venom in issue #300 or the death of Aunt May (she got better) in issue #400. Anyway, this was a solid Dock Ock story, and the last page has the return of Mary Jane, so I'm looking forward to how all of this pans out. One thing's for sure, John Romita Jr's art, while still good, isn't as great as it once was. I was recently re-reading the original clone saga from about a decade ago, and that stuff was awesome. This stuff is good, but not nearly as impressive.

Green Lantern #44 - Honestly, I didn't get into Green Lantern until I was in my thirties with the relaunch/return of Hal Jordan. Still, in that short period of time, he has become one of my favorite characters. This issue reminds me why, and it's amazing how much characterization Geoff Johns can squeeze in there between all the fisticuffs. I also have to say that as much as I miss Ivan Reiss on the series, Doug Mahnke is doing some of the best stuff I've ever seen from him. Maybe it's the inks by Christian Alamy, but this is really stellar stuff.

Wednesday Comics #3 of 12 - As I've stated before, I'm holding off on reading these until they're all in. That's not entirely true, as I do flip through each issue, and I've been reading the Superman storyline. Everything else still looks good though - not sure if I'll be able to wait until they're all in.

I passed up on the latest issue of Supergirl. While I like the series just fine, it's still tying in too closely to the whole "World Without a Superman" storyline. Now, I've said that I've been enjoying that story, especially in Superman. That said, I just saw the solicitations for October and this storyline is STILL going on. Honestly, I need to cut back on some titles, and I don't think that it has enough gas left in it to keep going like this. I'll probably still flip through them and pick up Superman, but for right now, I'm just going to pass on them.

Oh, and I completely missed Blackest Night - Tales of the Corps #2, but that was on accident. Hopefully there will still be plenty of copies next Wednesday.

No comments: