Monday, October 27, 2008

I guess that we've got a ways to go...

Recently, somebody told me of a conversation that they had with somebody who described Obama as a "nigger" and a "terrorist". This person was not being ironic; that's how she really felt. Of course, as one of my friends pointed out, it would be interesting to compare IQ scores and education level with Obama and the person who said that. I wonder who'd be the "nigger" then, huh?

While it does not surprise me that there are still people like that in this world, I have to wonder how the hell they are the way that they are. I mean, are they really so isolated that they can't accept the idea of a black man as President? Luckily, as I've noticed and as many of my colleagues have pointed out, the younger generation (in general) doesn't even factor in his race when deciding what they think of him. Hardly a scientific survey, but that's the impression, and it's promising.

Of course, then you have some white supremecists who planned to assasinate Obama (and were, thankfully, recently caught). I guess we still have a ways to go if people like that are out there.

Not that it's exactly the same thing, but I want to get back to this whole "Obama is a terrorist" thing. Apparently, there are people out there who REALLY think that. What evidence do they have? Evidence, shmevidence. As I've said before though, I think that part of the blame for this lies at the hands of various right-wing pundits and Sarah Palin, who says things like how Obama likes to "pal around" with terrorists.

Is it completely their fault that the uninformed masses are so quick to put two and two together and come up with five? Of course not - but they're certainly not helping matters.

No comments: