Tuesday, July 22, 2008

More writing goodness

I wrote my first short story when I was in the third grade. It was a superhero story about a superhero named "Super-Muscle". Pretty lame, I know, but give me a break - I was nine years old!

I continued to write stories (and even create a few comics) with him while I was a kid - even up through high school, although I eventually renamed him. I had a huge, epic story (before I even knew what an "epic" really entailed) in my head, and I knew that I just had to get it out one day. It involved pretty much everything that interested me, and while it was a fantasy/superhero story, I tried to get across my feelings on God, faith, etc. (Those were very different feelings back then from what they are now!) I remember telling myself that I'd finally have my epic written by the time I was 25.

Well, that didn't work out so well. That's okay though - I wasn't ready to write it then. I'm not entirely sure that I'm ready for it now. However, I think that I am good for a rough draft, and things are coming along. As of now, I'm nearly halfway done. Well, I'm nearly halfway done with a major part of it.

I already wrote a whole blog entry about Eagle-Man, and how that started from a high school newspaper strip to what I'm writing about today (many variations and permutations of that one). This story that I'm currently working on can be traced all the way back to that first story I wrote in the third grade. (It's a long and winding road to get from one point to the next, but it's there.)

I still haven't given much thought to publishing and all that. I figure that's a moot question if I haven't actually written it yet. As of now, I have a few friends who have been reading it and giving me some great feedback. Also, I've had a couple of folks who I've only met via "the Internets" who have checked it out as well. One thing that I do know though, is that when I finally finish this big story, I'm going to have to go back and write the earlier adventures of my character, as what I have here is probably the last adventure. After all - he fights God - where can you go from there?

So, here are some new chapters. Please keep in mind that these are VERY rough drafts, and you'll definitely find stuff in the later chapters that contradict the earlier ones. I'll get around to fixing that eventually. Also, the title is a working one - I'm still figuring out what I want to call it. On the stories themselves, it's called Unprophetic Armageddon. That sounds too heavy and pretentious for a story that uses the word "crap" as much as mine does. Right now, I'm mulling over Stop the End! or perhaps even Eagle-Man Versus The Apocalypse.

Book III
Book IV
Book V

And if you missed the earlier stuff:

Who Are You? - A stand-alone short story that introduces ideas that are followed up on in the epic story.
Book I
Book II

No comments: