Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Reflections on Hannity & Colmes

Okay, I know that I already wrote two blogs on it, but I've been stewing on this stupid show all day. I actually recorded another one, but I went ahead and deleted it. I'd rather watch marathons of The View and The Nanny back-to-back then see that bunch of nonsense again.

I tried to be open-minded. I honestly did. As my friend/colleague/secret gay lover/fellow Daywalker Andrew Nolan said (I'm paraphrasing), I wanted to give it a chance since I felt that I was only judging it based on soundbites, but little did I realize that the whole show is nothing BUT soundbites!

Is it possible that they just happened to air the two shittiest episodes back-to-back and if I kept watching, I'd see something worth seeing? I suppose, but I'm not going to devote any more of my time to it. I mean, I've never really tasted dog shit, but it is safe to assume that it's bad. In the case of Hannity and Colmes, there was a whole bucket of dog shit, and I actually took a couple of bites. I feel as though that probably was more than enough.

I was going to watch the O'Rwellian Factor today, but I need a bit of a break. I'll try it next week. I'll also try Kieth Olbermann's show. Beyond that, it may be enough. I mean, am I missing something if I don't watch Scarborough? I'm probably not missing anything as it is, but...trying...desperately...to...hold...on...to...hope...

If anything, it's made me appreciate the wit and intelligence behind The Daily Show and The Colbert Report. I've been stewing on a tribute to Colbert blog for awhile now. Watching O'Reilly might just push me over the edge to finally write it.

2 comments:

Gary Fouse said...

Lance,

I really hope you don't use Stewart and Colbert as your primary news sources.

Say it ain't so!

Lance Christian Johnson said...

Of course not, but I think that using them would be no worse than using Hannity & Colmes, The O'Reilly Factor, etc. Actually, I think that they're better, since they at least have no pretense of not being a joke.

I read my morning paper and I scan the headlines on my browser's homepage, clicking on stuff for further information.