Monday, February 25, 2008

Hannity & Colmes & Hannity

Okay, so today I began my Week O' Punditry. I watched an episode of Hannity & Colmes and an episode of Hannity's America.

As for H&C, I found myself paying more attention to my cat and my dog, who were playing with each other. The beginning of the show dealt with the statements that Obama's wife said about "being proud to be American for the first time." It also touched on how the rhetoric of the Clinton campaign seems to be that of a campaign that's floundering. Okay, fine.

I didn't find any fault with the first half, although I felt like Colmes was trying a bit hard to get his guests to argue when there wasn't really an argument to be had. Later, they did the thing where they split the screen up four ways and they all talked over one another. Again, Colmes tried to make a mountain out of a molehill by questioning why Republicans and the Clinton campaign are asking questions about Obama's religious affiliations (apparently, the leader of his church may or may not be some kind of black separatist - FactCheck.org had an article on the guy awhile ago, and he seems harmless enough.) Personally, I think it's fair game to look at a candidates religious beliefs. Whatever, there was nothing really going on there.

Then Hannity threw himself into the mix and he got into it with some guy and another guy talked over both of them and nobody was really saying anything. Could I be more specific and go into what they were actually saying? I suppose I could, but I could also give you a rundown as to how stinky my cat's litterbox is. Just take my word for it, okay? It stinks.

So, I guess it's supposed to be a debate show, but I didn't really see any real debate. I saw people disagreeing and talking over one another about things that weren't really very significant.

As for Hannity's America, I could sum that up as:

Agh!!! Aghhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! The illegal immigrants are coming over the border and they want to take your jobs, destroy the country and rape your pets!!!!!!!!!!! AGHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't get me wrong, as I do believe that something needs to be done about the immigration issues, but this was fear mongering of the worst kind. One story after another about Mexicans (and yes, it was continuously pointed out that they were indeed MEXICANS) and "The Price We Pay." All sorts of quick cuts, ominous music, etc. to make the common citizen frightened were included. There was even a bit about some city near Dallas where they were getting some new sort of "Cheese Heroin" and it was killing the kids. Of course, this was coming from MEXICO!!!!! Agh!!!! Hannity made it sound like it was some kind of epidemic that was bound to kill every kid you know.

Then he went into how the reason why so many Mexicans are hopping the border is because their government is corrupt and that there are many business owners here who are more than happy to take advantage of them. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!! Oh, my side! Bwah ha ha ha ha!!!!! I'm just bullshittin' ya! He didn't even mention that!

I'll watch at least another episode of H&C, but I think I've had it with Hannity's Hour of Yellow Journalism, even though next week he's going to cover how those lousy Spanish sunk the Maine.

Ugh. I'd say that I was feeling dumber, but then I watched a little bit of Mythbusters and I learned that it's actually possible to create a grappling-hook device like the superheroes use. Bitchin'. I'm gonna get on that in case any Mexicans attack me tonight.

1 comment:

Kirsti said...

Thank you for making me laugh out loud at 6:30 in the morning.